End of Mining
The closing of Hamstead colliery by British Coal on March 26th 1965 was stated at the time to be for economic reasons as the mine was "no longer viable", however three years before the mine was closed the Coal Board had invested heavily in a mechanical digger that proved a disaster. It was only capable of removing a straight line of strata and the coal brought to the surface was heavily contaminated with rock which was the main reason for the lower profits. There is an estimated 4.5 million tonnes of coal presently valued at 80 million pounds waiting for anyone who wants to remove it.
The village gradually lost its coal mining traditions and sense of community which has only recently been revived with a determination to commemorate the centenary of the 1908 disaster.
- The HAMSTEAD MINERS MEMORIAL TRUST is a registered Charity No.1098711
- We welcome information and photographs on Hamstead Colliery and Great Barr