The 1908 Disaster
On 4th March 1908 a terrible disaster occurred when fire broke out in Hamstead Colliery causing the deaths of twenty-five miners and John Welsby, a member of the rescue team.
These pages tell the story based on the official inquiry report, newspaper reports, postcards and other information collected, starting with some background information on the layout of the mine.
|A 28-page booklet based on the official inquiry report and
illustrated with contemporary photographs and stories has been
produced by the trust. This is available locally for £4
or can be purchased here
for £6.20 (UK standard delivery) -
or £7.20 (UK recorded delivery)
- The HAMSTEAD MINERS MEMORIAL TRUST is a registered Charity No.1098711
- We welcome information and photographs on Hamstead Colliery and Great Barr