The Start of Mining
The area known as Hamstead was until 1875 little more than a rustic backwater. Following successful coal mining at the nearby Sandwell Park Colliery the Hamstead Colliery Company was formed in April 1875, leasing 500 acres land at Hamstead from G.C. Calthorpe of Perry Hall. In 1876 it began to sink mine shafts. The first coal was not extracted until after 1878 due to unexpected geological problems and water ingress. The coal was at a very deep level and at a depth of 1836ft it was the deepest coal mine in the world.
The coal mined was or very good quality but was difficult to extract and from the very beginning was plagued by periodic outbreaks of fire.
- The HAMSTEAD MINERS MEMORIAL TRUST is a registered Charity No.1098711
- We welcome information and photographs on Hamstead Colliery and Great Barr