1908- 2008 Centenary Events
The main events were:
- Saturday 1st March 2008
- The Hamstead Miners Memorial Trust held an Open Day at Tanhouse Centre from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. There was an impressive display of Artifacts, photographs, newspapers, etc. and an opportunity to see sketches of the proposed memorial. This was well attended and new material was donated to the trust.
- Sunday 2nd March 2008
- St Pauls Church, Walsall Road. Start of mining festival week with Mothers Day Service at 10.30.
- Tuesday 4th March 2008
- At 11 a.m. there was a 'turning of the first soil' at the site of the Miners Memorial on the corner of Hamstead Road and Old Walsall Road. It was attended by 100 people, including 50 children from Ferndale Primary school.
- See the BBC News Clip of the day here...
- Saturday 8th March 2008
- Display of mining artifacts at St Pauls Church, Walsall Road
Picture Courtesy Great Barr Observer
- Sunday 9th March 2008
- Memorial Service at St. Pauls, Walsall Road, 10.30 attended by the Lord Mayor of Birmingham and Deputy Mayor of Sandwell.( St Pauls website link.)
- The HAMSTEAD MINERS MEMORIAL TRUST is a registered Charity No.1098711
- We welcome information and photographs on Hamstead Colliery and Great Barr